Deliberately set forest fires are raging in many parts of the world. Trees and plants take in carbon dioxide and release oxygen. The things that provide our very existence are diminishing. Without doubt, deforestation has adverse impacts on ecosystems, biodiversity and food security. With growing demands for meat, more animals will be raised on deforested land. Many of us grow up with meat as a staple in our diets. Changing our consumption habits and preferences cannot happen in an instant. This protein-rich meatless ‘meatball’ recipe is an effort to consume less meat to reduce environmental impact. It is a protest against deforestation for mass scale animal agriculture.
- 1 can chickpeas in brine, drained
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 6 white button mushrooms, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1/2 cup oat bran
- 1 teaspoon dried mixed herbs
- Salt and pepper
1) Preheat oven to 190°C.
2) Toast walnuts in preheated oven for 5 minutes and set aside.
3) If your food processor is large enough, blend chickpeas, olive oil, mushrooms, onion and
walnuts till well combined. If you’re using a small food processor, start by blending the
chickpeas with olive oil, followed by the other components separately.
4) In a large mixing bowl, combine blended ingredients with oat bran, dried mixed herbs, a
half teaspoon of salt and a dash of pepper.
5) Shape meatballs and bake for 12 minutes.
6) Serve with your choice of pasta and pasta sauce.