Surf & Turf Boil Up
In appreciation of Māori cuisine, here is a delicious boil up recipe, Surf & Turf style. Perfect for a rainy day, this recipe works with almost any vegetables and meat you have in your fridge. Here is the recipe for what I used:
600g beef brisket
2 litres of water
1 carrot, peeled and cut in chunks
Handful of coriander (stem for stock, leaves for garnish)
1 large tomato, quartered
1 purple kūmara, peeled and cut in chunks
1 gold kūmara, peeled and cut in chunks
1 orange kūmara, peeled and cut in chunks
1 bag of spinach 300g
large prawns Salt & pepper to taste
1) In a stock pot, sear beef brisket over medium-high heat for about 2 minutes on each side or until browned. Season with salt and pepper.
2) Add 2 litres of water, bring to a boil, and lower heat to medium-low and simmer
3) Add carrot, coriander stem, tomato, and all the kūmara. Simmer for 1 hour
4) After 1 hour, add prawn, and simmer for another 15 minutes over low heat.
5) Add spinach just before removing from heat.
6) Season with salt and pepper again to taste
7) Garnish with coriander leaves and serve.